Brad Rutledge

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Utah Backcountry Skiing - Days Fork

Since I'd only been backcountry skiing once this year (on a day when the snow was horrible & we missed our trail) I decided to have another go at it with my buddies Marty Tuttle & Ross Hager. Surprisingly, the Utah Avalanche Report came in Saturday morning with a Low rating - on most aspects. We decided to hit Days Fork, a normally avalanche-prone area.

We got lucky & followed an established up track from a few days earlier - only a few inches of snow covered it. The hike was pretty difficult with multiple deep switchbacks & lots of steep ups. It took us some time to reach the Reed & Benson Ridge, which is about 10,000 feet - but the hard work proved to be worth it.
Marty hiking up.

The picture at the top is me taking a tight turn to spray Ross with a pile of pow. Ross' photography skills actually made me look like I know what I'm doing.

The ride down was amazing with lot's of deep powder, face-shots & untouched snow everywhere! We stayed in the trees for safety & smiled all the way down.





Ross getting a face-full of Pow on his split board.








Me, pointing the way up to
Reed & Benson Ridge.








Free Your Heel - Telemark Ski!

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home